12-12 Reggae agenda meets rootzlions band
In 2016 Rootzlions was formed , and within a short period they have made quite an impression. The band is formed by Carlos Silva; also known as Rootz Lion and his queen Carla Jah aka Rootz Lioness. Carla is the one also who organizes the shows and everything around that. For 2 years , she organized the live music at the HighTides&GoodVibes festival in Zandvoort , with the Rootz Lions and many artists. This festival is in collaboration with Studio32decoroots and Storm.
At 22nd of December they will play alongside non other than Chezidek in Rotterdam. This show will be the only show for Chezidek in the Netherlands.
Rootz Lions is very excited about their new project : DUB meets HORNS. It’s a tribute to the reggae from the 70th and 80th. They recorded some of these songs in Earthworks studio in Amsterdam with Hornsman Coyote and Jan Kooper and you can hear them in many places. Time to get to know this band a likkle bit better!
1. Please tell us who are the Rootzlions and where are you from ?
Carlos/ Rootz Lion ( bass) has his roots in Cabo Verde, the roots of Gillan ( guitar) and Erik ( keys) is in Suriname and the roots of Michael ( drums) from Sint Maarten.
2. The upcoming show with Chezidek must be a new highlight in your musical career. How did this collaboration came to reality ?
Lets say, it took some effort to make this happen; but we are very much looking forward. It’s a pity that no more venues were interested enough, because we believe that Chezidek”s music deserves more. But, nevertheless, it will be a maddddddd show.
3. The band just started in 2016… Any musical projects before 2016 where people could know any members of the Rootzlions band from ?
Each member of the band has a rich history in their musical career, with the biggest reggae-artists and with different bands. To name a few : Michael Rose, Eek-a Mouse, Lee Perry, Postman, Roots Syndicate, Ziggy Recado…..That’s why its such a privilege to work together with so much enthousiasm and respect for one and other. Each member is equal in the band and we share the same vision and feeling off the roots reggae music.
4. What others artists beside Chezidek you have been the backingband for ?
Because we organize the live music ourselves at the HighTides&GoodVibes festival in Zandvoort , we were able to work with several artists, like Black Omolo, Hornsman Coyote, Prince Jamo (UK) , Donovan KIngjay (UK) and some other local artists. With some of them, we will do some more work in 2018.
5. We have heard that you are starting a foundation involving the Rootz Lions as well. What can you you tell us about this upcoming project ?
We (Carlos and Carla ) are starting a foundation, called Rootz Livity. The Rootz Lions will be part of that, but there are more ideas which they are working on. Hopefully we can soon tell you more about that.
6. We weren’t there to witness to be honoust but the name makes me curious! What can we expect from DUB meets HORNS?
It was the idea of Carlos / Rootz Lion . Dub meets Horns is a tribute to Reggae music of the 70ties and 80ties. When the drum and bass were the heartbeat of the music and the horns blowing their majestic sound. Rootz Lions is bringing that decade to you. Dub meets Horns will take you back in that time. Pure Rootz! Enjoy the vibes like the Skatalites, Rico Rodrigues, King Tubby etc. With this project we extended the band with hornsplayers and Iyiapo Tafari as the chanter.
We have been recording some songs and possible bringing it out on vinyl. The response on Dub meets Horns is overwhelming and that’s fantastic. We have been on big stages already, especially on jazz festivals. We will perform again with Dub meets Horns on the 30th of decembre at jazzcafe Dizzy in Rotterdam. More shows will follow in 2018. If you want to listen some of these tracks : https://rootzlions.bandcamp.com/album/dub-meets-horns
8. What role do you see for reggae music in this modern day society ?
We think its more then important now. To keep the positif vibes high. Unfortunatly, you see so much intolerance; jealousy and competition; and that’s not what reggae is about. Its important to really listen to the lyrics and put your ego more aside. To be an instrument to spread the message of love & unity.
9 Where does your inspiration to play reggae music come from ?
As from early age, Carlos listened to reggae-music and the lyrics. The inspiration comes from the feeling deep inside. My mission is to give people the same vibe.
10. What role has Rastafari in your daily life ?
Give us the teachings of his Majesty, “ we don”t want no devils Philosophy”. This lyric by Bob Marley says it all. His Imperial Majesty leads and guide us : “ May the Almighty God guide and assist us in our work”.
11. What are the main goals for the Rootzlions band fort the coming 5 years ?
Spreading more love & unity through the music all over the world.
12. The attention for reggae music is growing and alongside the quality of the music. Some proper reggae music is played ina the Netherlands nowadays and your band is a great example of the phenomenon. Is it more important to you to play the people what they want (and reach more of dem) or do you prefer to tell you own story through your music?
To be honoust, we are looking ourselves which artists we want to work with. The artists who we believe, are very compatible with how we feel and see the music. We are also busy with our own music; and we prefer to play with our hearts. Consciousness and Roots music.
13. Reggae music has countless legends. Please name 5 of dem who inspire you the most in what you are doing now ?
Burning Spear, Don Carlos, Gladiators, Isreal Vibration, Culture, Bob Marley and so much more…..
14. What do you think about Reggae Agenda.NL ?
We respect the efforts and all the hard work to let people know whats going on in reggae-land; and for artists to let themselves see. It’s a great platform, so give thanx much!
15. Any last words for our readers ?
Respect, Love, Unity
With much love and gratitude for all the people who believe in us and makes our family grow in love, peace and unity.
You can follow us on facebook : Rootzlions reggaeband.
For info and bookings : email@example.com
Rootz Lion has also his radio-show, every Monday from 19.00 – 21.00 h. Strictly roots music. www.zionhighness.com
Reggae Agenda Nederland - 2017 (c)